Exchange Management Shell can’t connect to local server

I had this issue on a server in my test lab – EMS couldn’t connect to the local machine. There were several differnet errors at different times – couldn’t find a domain controller, http bad response, general ‘couldn’t connect’ type error. This box was a proper test machine- I had Exchange 2010 on it, uninstalled, installed Exchange 2013, uninstalled, changed domain. All stuff you shouldn’t do. But all was ok until it was made into a DC in a child domain. Then when installed Exchange 2013, EMS couldn’t connect locally. I uninstalled Exchange, put 2010 on – same issue. Went back to 2013 after removing the server from the domain, adding to the parent, dcpromoed to a DC in a new child domain, installed Exchange 2013 – same thing. Research over a period of a couple of weeks proved fruitless, until I saw an issue on the forums related to kerbauth.dll. Then I found this:

On investigation, I found that the kerbauth module (in IIS Manager – \Sites\Default Web Site\PowerShell – modules in the right pane) was pointing at the V14\bin directory, not v15. So, to fix the issue:

  • I removed the module from IIS (\Sites\Default Web Site\PowerShell – modules – right-click -remove)
  • Edited C:\Windows\System32\Inetsrv\config\ApplicationHost.config to point to the v15\bin directory (searched for v14, found the offending line pointing at v14/bin/kerbauth)
  • Did an iisreset
  • Restarted WinRM service
  • Clicked on ‘Configure Native Modules’ and enabled kerbauth

Boom! EMS can now connect to the local machine.

This entry was posted in Aide memoire, Exchange 2010, Exchange 2013, Powershell and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Exchange Management Shell can’t connect to local server

  1. Matt Van Mater says:

    This was a HUGE help for me. In my case it was slightly different but the same principle applied… I had exchange 2013 installed (partially/unsuccessfully) and later installed 2010 but EMS would not work. I had to edit ApplicationHost.config and replace the v15 with v14 (since I was essentially downgrading from exchange 2013 to 2010), and everything worked!.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s